Handling student requests to add classes the few days before classes start is very complex. In order to do is somewhat efficiently I
- Collect all the requests in an email folder.
- Get the following screens/tabs open
- Gmail (the request is made)
- MVS as my main work page (to look up records and enroll student)
- Second MVS to find open sections of courses
- Word document to copy and paste the info as a gather it. Name; ID; course desired; STAR number. This is the center. Also the document has typical phrases for replies to emails (e.g., I have put the student on the waiting list.).
- Waiting list in a browser tab. For classes that are full.
- Laserfiche – this is how we look up student’s HS records/transcripts.
- STARS quick search tab for math courses
- STARS quick search tab for stat courses
Then I methodically go through the emails.
Since many of the requests are similar, I get used to where the 8 screens are and can jump from one to another efficiently.